Posted on: July 18, 2011 Posted by: Cole Ruth Comments: 0

It was a very full day. Since we got to Duluth, the crew has been running sails back to back – three each day. I feel like we may even have done four on the first day, but I can’t recall. I can’t recall if I mentioned that we’re here as part of a tall ships festival – which is why Mammoth and the Argo are here as well.

Our Adventure Sails
I was thinking about it last night, and I’m not sure I’ve ever described our sails, so a quick note for the uninitiated – and remember, this is from the perspective of the galley:

First we load people onboard, and then we send them to the starboard side of the vessel, because in order to get off the dock, the deckhands are running up and down the port side, catching lines and taking off an assortment of fenders and spuds (designed to protect the boat from rubbing against the side of the dock).

Cap gives a quick welcome, asking them to make an agreement with her to stay on the boat for the duration of the sail. They usually laugh. If they’re not a tough crowd. Then she heads back aft to steer the boat, and the first mate shouts commands to the crew to get underway. One deckhand gives a quick safety speech, telling people where to find a life jacket in case of an emergency, and at about this point I usually run back aft to do my duty as Fender Girl. It doesn’t sound that important, but during the last few sails, the boat actually backs it’s aft port stern right onto my fender, as the boat pivots off the dock.

Someone on shore throws off the docklines and the crew catch them and/or pull them back onboard, then run around taking off the fenderboards.

Butler, entertaining passengers, the Argo behind her.

During our two-hour sail, the captain hollers commands when she wants sails raised – in these windless days, we’ve only been putting up the foresail and the staysail, and not the main (or any of our other 6+ sails). Eve or Harrison or, lately, Buttons, gives a history talk about our boat and the war of 1812. (It’s actually a pretty good talk. I never get bored of hearing them.)
The gunner – currently Neb or Harrison, like today when he did double-duty on Neb’s day off – gives a talk about our guns. We fire them at rip-rap along the shores, or at other vessels whenever possible. Then we take in the sails and make our way back to the dock. 
It may not sound super exciting, but I sure wish I’d done it as a kid. Just seeing a boat like ours maneuvering through the water is pretty cool. 
Stocking up
When I went over my budget the other day, I found I was $300 under budget. Granted, my pantries were getting low. In fact, everything was low. The fridge had never been so empty. But I felt a little reckless with so much cash on hand. Our liaison took me provisioning at Sam’s and at another store called Cub, and bought about $700 worth of groceries. With the freezer working again, I felt free to stock up on my meats. The storage units under the settees are packed: one with canned goods; one with rice and beans; one with drinks, like coffee and iced tea mix; and yet another with flour and sugar. I think we’ll make it to Marquette alive. 
The Argo from across the water, also without its mainsail.

Sunday’s Menu

Our liaison brought us cream cheese and bagels, and I made scrambled eggs 
Potato croquette sandwiches, much simpler this time since I lacked butter. Plus, I was hoping Cap would eat them (she did not), so I omitted the onions and spices.
On Parker House rolls with ham and sliced tomato and a quick zatziki.
Thai garlic and pepper chicken – this was a favorite dish of mine at a little place on the island of Koh Bulon in Thailand, and this recipe recreates it perfectly:
They weren’t really into this, but I set out yogurt, granola and a blueberry sauce