After describing this dish on a recent Skype call with my sister, her four-year-old suddenly appeared and saddled up to her. “Mommy, can we make that?” he asked.
And yes, you can. It’s easy and cheap to make this Brussels sprouts dish. Even though the Brussels you’ll get right now are from another more wintry clime, this dish could as easily be made with whatever veggies you have on hand.
1. Sear sprouts, onions and garlic in an iron skillet in a little bacon fat.
2. Chop up several pieces of ham into tiny cubes.
3. Place ham in 9×10″ pan and pre-heat oven to 375.
4. In a saucepan, add 1 and a half cups of chicken broth, about 1/4 c. sugar and, if you have it, a hefty spoonful of kimchi.
5. Toss the sprouts and onions and garlic with the ham, ladle broth over top and cook in the oven until the broth has soaked in and the sugars are starting to caramelize on the ham.
6. Remove from oven and poach an egg or two. Rest on top. Salt and pepper (or add sweet chili sauce/sriacha) to taste.